You know what kills me? Something
I can't prevent at all of course; phone usage! It's his
weekend with the children. It's our weekend to bond and yet, it seems
every few hours there's a text from bio-mom, or a call to bio-mom. Just make it
stop already! Yes, yes, I know I cannot prevent the kids from talking to
their own mother (nor would I want that actually) but I really wish I could make these two preteens
be more present and not drowning in a sea of text and
calls during our limited weekend time. How are they supposed to bond with him,
much less me, when they're constantly on the phone? With his ex?
I've quickly learned that I have
no privacy. Anything we do or say together is fair game to get back to the ex.
"Daddy did this...." or "Did you know she did...?". The ex
thrives on being at the center of attention and is a gossip queen. She loves
holding the proverbial puppet strings in his family despite being divorced for numerous
years! (Don't ask, that's a whole separate blog!). And while there is nothing
to hide, the fact is, I am not that present in her household, I'm not allowed to be. And
while I don't need to know what goes on during the weeks we are with out the
children, I'd just like her to respect our space and time to bond - and she
doesn't do that and never will.
Are they bored you ask - is that
why the children spend so much time on the phone? Dad has actually put
restrictions on phone usage in efforts to keep the kids more involved, but let
me tell you, these kids are well entertained! Lord knows I bust my butt and so
does he to do things as a family. This weekend for example was filled with an
extended family dinner, early morning group errands and projects, pancake
breakfasts, pumpkin farm visits, petting zoos, haunted houses, pumpkin
painting, house decorating, mess
making, home cooked dinners, evening movie time, catch playing - - - you
name it and we did it. And yet, the bio-mom invasion via the phone continues.
I'm sure there's a case of bitter
grapes and whining in this post from me. Of course there is. I want to be so
awesome and bonded with these kids that they forget all about their other life,
if even for just a weekend. I know, I know. Time. Time will reveal all and I
just need to continue to work on and build the relationships, memories and
experiences that I can, and want (and hope for) but in the meantime, I
feel like weekends are "court supervised" with bio-mom just a phone call/speaker
away. Anyone else ever feel like this?
I know the feeling! On our Sunday Fun Days, it felt as if the ex wife was in the car with us! She calls all the time which I wouldn't have mind so much but she asks a lot of nosey questions as to what is going on in MY house! My husband told her that it was not cool with her doing that and of course she pulled the "I can call my son anytime I want." But he told her thats fine just don't be asking about what goes on in my house. Now we take his phone away when we have "family time" so that put an end to that all together. Not only do we get our sons full attention but his mom is no where to be heard from. Killed two birds with one stone. :)
ReplyDelete